Student Support Programs and Community Service
Whether you’re a student wanting to participate in community service projects or a parent wanting to offer help to an M-A student or family, opportunities abound! PTA supported Outreach Programs include the Computer Donation Program, Outreach Holiday Gift Drive, Project Backpack, Canned Food Drive, ELD Tutoring and Gift Card Donations. Details on each program can be found below.
Computer Donation Program
Do you or your company have an old computer (working or not), monitor, printer or computer parts that you don’t need anymore? The M-A PTA refurbishes old computer equipment for students who do not have access to a computer at home. Since the program started in 1999, over 5,000 computers have been supplied to hard-working, deserving M-A students.
All information is securely erased from the hard drives before loading new software and distributing computers.
Outreach Holiday Gift Drive
The PTA supports the annual Holiday Gift Drive, sponsored by the Outreach Club, with partial financial backing and organizational help. In recent years, the program has provided 60-70 M-A families with gifts during the holiday season. Outreach, along with other M-A clubs, school departments, teachers and parents, adopt specific families. Gifts are purchased, wrapped and personally delivered to recipients based on a wish list that they provide. For more information, contact email@example.com or view online.
Canned Food Drive
The Canned Food Drive is held in November and December and is organized by the Leadership Students. M-A students and staff collect money and non-perishable food in an effort to feed 400-500 M-A families and others in the community. The food drive kicks off in November when students start ‘canning’ – collecting non-perishable foods outside of local grocery stores. M-A families also send in donations to school. The money that is donated is used to purchase perishable items.
In December, recipient families receive at least two weeks’ worth of canned food, fresh fruit and vegetables, bread, a large bag of rice and whole chickens.
Adult volunteers are needed on distribution day to help the students sort and pack the food into family-sized boxes.
The food drive started many years ago in Coach Parks’ garage. In 1999, the food drive was moved on campus when Mr. Fontana, the new Activity Director, involved Leadership students. Over the years, the number of cans collected has grown from 5,200 to well over 100,000.
Canned Food Drive Committee Co-Chairs:
- Becky Flanagan, Kelly Holzrichter, and Jenn Hultgren
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can make a world of difference! Volunteer to help M-A’s English Learners.
- Volunteer tutors help students who are learning English in M-A’s beginning and intermediate English Language Development (ELD) classes. Most of the students are relatively new to the U.S. and face huge challenges as they attempt to learn in a new language and new educational system. Volunteers give English learners an opportunity to practice English conversation and offer individual support on schoolwork. Familiarity with a second language is not required.
- Tutors focus on reading, writing, vocabulary and conversation.
- Tutors are usually assigned to one period on a block day, which makes the weekly commitment about two hours.
- Tutors work with a maximum of two students under the direction of a classroom teacher.
- Tutors are needed at the following times: Wednesday, 3rd period 11:15-12:55; and Thursday, 2nd period 9:40-11:20.
This is a terrific opportunity for parents to get involved in a constructive and rewarding way by working directly with students and teachers.
ELD Tutoring Committee Chair:
- Anneliese Abdella
- Contact us at email@example.com
Donation of Gift Cards
Looking for a meaningful but easy way to help the M-A community? Donate gift cards in any amount from Safeway, Target or Walgreens. The gift cards will be given to M-A students by the Administration for stop-gap support of their basic, immediate needs.
Gift cards can be put in the PTA mail box in the main office.